Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sometime During the Ninth Inning

Blogs are typically, and this one is certainly, a small platform from which to speak. Several people have cautioned me against writing these posts and others have said they "stay away from the blogs". The latter sentiment uttered, I suspect, to shore up the notion that this is no sensible forum. Judging by the tit-for-tat exchanges in the Tribune, I have to wonder where does one locate a sensible forum for local political debate.

I have posted here for nearly nine months and have generally found it to be gratifying. My editor has discouraged the deviations from the path of "local issues" to which I am often tempted. My reasons for expounding on non-local issues are that sometimes a larger issue seemed more compelling, or that I believe any issue is a local issue if it elicits a local response, or that anything which happens in the world is of concern here because, and I can prove this, we are part of the world. Beyond that, it seems to me that if a reader has a look at what I believe on broader issues, it may give a better idea of how I might vote on a purely local issue.

I don't know what size sewer pipe is required in which part of town or how deep to dig a drainage ditch for storm water runoff. But I can recognize some of the things that are wrong with this town and I have definite ideas of what can be done to approach a solution. The ideal New Albany, or the ideal Anytown, is always out of reach, always on the horizon, but the ideal New Albany is a city continuously striving to reach that horizon. The journey, in this small town, must be one that includes anyone who wants to come along. On this small planet, it must include concern for people above profit; tomorrow must be as important as today.

I've heard quite a few people talk of the need for beautification of our city. This is an undeniable need. The main entry points into New Albany are, in fact, among the most unattractive sights to be seen in the entire town. The aesthetics need to be addressed, but I think a more pressing need is the deficit in minor maintenance. Taken as a litany of individual problems, the deficit may not seem so bad-a broken sidewalk here, a missing railing there, or a public area littered and overgrown.

I think an attainable solution to this widespread inattention is a small team of city workers dedicated to looking for problems in need of correctioin; something along the lines of a maintenance man for a building or factory. The problems this crew would deal with would be small in comparison to street repairs or sewer repairs. The small scale of the repairs is very likely the reason they are put off for another time.

Walking home from Oak Street along State to Captain Frank recently, I passed no fewer than four patches of sidewalk that were not only cracked, but hazardous to pedestrians. The minor maintenance crew could repair these bad sections. The same crew could cut limbs away from stop signs or street signs. Neighborhood groups might be a good place to collect a list of maintenance problems for a particular part of town. Individuals could call a City Council representative or the general City switchboard. At any rate, the minor things that collectively paint the town as run down or neglected could be dealt with before they become larger problems. No, it wouldn't have prevented the problems with the sewers, nor would it have paved the streets. But it just might make people take more pride in their city, and further, make them feel they are getting something for their taxes.

If I don't write again before the election November 6, please remember to vote.

4 comments:

shirley baird said...

John,

I am glad that you did not take the advice of the people who told you to stay away from the blogs. Unfortunately I did listen during the primary when they told me I would be too busy campaigning to keep up with a blog.

I did restart my blog but everyone got the impression that I "chickened out" when it came to discussing the issues. This was not true but you can't change people's minds very easily.

Getting back to your posting. I like the idea of the maintenance people to act as troubleshooters of sorts. The citizens will see that the city is trying to help them and that will boost the morale of our people.

You have a lot of good ideas, John. Keep up the good work.

John Gonder said...

Shirley:

Thanks for your comment. And thanks for your continuing participation in Democratic party events. I know it would have been easy to drop out of such activities in light of the outcome of the primary.

I would picture the maintenance crew I wrote about as working out of a UPS-type truck.(I would expect this crew to consist of two people). The truck would be well-equipped with tools and supplies. The crew would also have access to additional tools through an agreement with tool rental stores. The crew would start out with a list of repairs for the day or the week and if they encounter something while on the way to make those repairs, they would be encouraged to take the initiative to fix that as well.

If we are going to attempt to seriously tackle the problems with poor maintenance in housing, whether owned or rented,it is important that the city do its part in maintaining the commons. If people see concrete proof that the City is taking care of these immediate problems, perhaps they will be encouraged to make investments in their own propety.

Jeff Gillenwater said...

At the first civic meeting I ever attended as a New Albany resident, a constituent implored the elected official present to "give us something to vote for".

It's been a rare occurrence since, but you've managed to do that consistently as a candidate. My sincere hope is that your election will serve as an example to other elected officials and hopefuls who assume that voters respond more positively to silence and vague platitudes than thoughtful discourse.

I, too, appreciate Shirley's willingness to participate, question, discuss, learn, etc, even when we've disagreed.

As someone who's chosen not to participate in party-based functions up to this point, I'd submit that more people would involve themselves with those functions if party members would make a committed effort to emulate your actions rather than advising you and Shirley to stop them.

John Gonder said...

Bluegill:

Sometimes while traveling through unfamiliar towns, I'll think,"why would anyone want to live here?" I'd bet quite a few people have asked themselves that while passing through New Albany. My answer to that question has always been simply that "it's home". For me the challenge of this council race has been to make my views of how to improve this home real for those I speak with. The reward will be to actually make those improvements.

Paraphrasing here, I've heard that one of the greatest testaments to faith in the future is the planting of tree, the shade of which you'll never enjoy. I hope the renewal of New Albany is not so lacking in experiential enjoyment; I don't think it will be. But we, as the current residents of this place, have the chance to make something that will benefit not just us but those who follow us. Our efforts, if truly realized, will cause a softer tread upon the planet. Why sprawl out when some of the nicest places to live are already built? Why build new shops and restaurants when what exists can be reborn as an authentic commercial center? Why drive when the things you want are in walking distance?

I have heard about the revival of downtown for a long time. Thanks to the efforts of those who have persevered there and those who have more recently joined in, we are on the cusp of realizing a shared vision. Global warming is reality, three dollar gasoline is reality, hope for New Albany's renewal is reality. Those relities make the revival of downtown not only more likely but also more responsible policy. An engaged Mayor and open-minded City Council can make such policy.

I'd like to see more members of the blogging community step up to the challenge of putting their words into action. Their's is the kind of forward thinking, for the most part, that can help answer the question, "why would anyone want to live here?"