Thursday, November 8, 2007

Thank You

The day after the election was spent sleeping late, reclaiming yard signs and taking care of a few things that were set aside during the final days of the campaign.

I apologize for that delay in conveying my thanks to all who have read my posts throughout either of the two phases of the campaign. As Mike Myers used to say on Saturday Night Live, I'm "verklemft" in light of all the good wishes expressed to me.

To Iamhoosier, you are correct, I need to get at it sooner and harder. Therefore, I'll bring my sign back out and put it in your yard. You can landscape around it as you see fit. You'll grow to love it.

As the glow of optimism fueled by winning inevitably dims, the size of the challenge ahead will become more apparent. New Albany remains a city populated with people of competing views. Working through those differences is the goal of government.

Progressive ideas will meet the standard dodge of "we can't afford that". The real question of why we can't afford something is not always a lack of money, just as often it's a lack of vision and the selfish allure of the staus quo. I believe the voters chose to look beyond the staus quo. I can't promise a gravy train with biscuit wheels, but only to do my part in keeping this a city with hope.

Thanks again for the confidence people have expressed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,

Congratulations on your victory! Like many of New Albany voters I am quite interested in seeing what results the new council will bring. I encourage you to use your blog now as an educational tools to help voters understand issues before the council. Good luck to you and the new members of the council going forward.

Jerry R. Steuerwald
New Albany

Iamhoosier said...

John,
We have plenty of OVERGROWN landscaping where your sign will fit right in.

Mark