Sunday, February 20, 2011

Open Letter to Ed Clere

After my blood pressure ebbed a bit I sent the following letter to our State Representative, Ed Clere.

I know the man a little and I cannot believe he would be a party (possible pun) to such dangerous, irresponsible nonsense.

I would urge anyone who agrees to let Rep. Clere know how you feel.

Link to story

Dear Rep. Clere:

Regarding S.B. 292, can this possibly be why you chose to enter politics?

I have not seen the so-called logic behind this bizarre capitulation to a lunatic fringe.

Just imagine you are at a cafe in Paris and you read this in the International Herald Tribune. Would you believe it?

Do you want innocent people conducting business in any courthouse, or the workers in those buildings, subjected to the violence which will follow from such wanton pandering.

I will personally sponsor a resolution in the New Albany (your home) Common Council in opposition to this insanity.

And, I further hope that the law, if passed, soon faces a court challenge.

5 comments:

John Gonder said...

Hey big boy, if you read the highlighted article such other mamby pamby liberals as the Lucas foundation opposes the legislation. Part of its opposition is that guns could and would be carried into games at Lucas stadium.
How's your check 'em at door pardner going to deal with tens of thousands of people attending an event?
Answer: it can't.

I stand by my original take, guns have no place in public gatherings, in public buildings where those in attendance have to rub shoulders with the obviously unbalanced, not unlike here.

John Gonder said...

Correction:

The liberal cultists who are in favor of keeping guns out of Lucas Stadium are the Indianapolis Colts, not the pinkos of dirt track racing as represented by Lucas Oil.

John Gonder said...

These comments may appear as apropos nothing.

They are neither the sound of one hand clapping nor are they my end of the conversation with my imaginary friend.

They are the responses to an unidentified poster without the context of the original jab.

While comments here are sparse, I will limit them to only those who identify themselves by name or nom de blog.

shirley baird said...

I had to read the bill twice. Why on earth would they want to allow guns in a place lke the Lucas Stadium?

John Gonder said...

Shirley:

I asked the Council's counsel to look at the bill. He said the Tribune article may be a bit overblown. The thrust, as he reads it, is to provide uniformity throughout the state for armed law enforcement personnel. Presumably, within their jurisdiction they are allowed to carry weapons into public buildings but outside their jurisdiction they may not be able to and are faced with a hodge podge of regulations, according to the bill's author.

He's still checking into it. I'm not sure there was a real problem in terms of infringed rights for those in law enforcement.

The real point for me is that there is no need to invite more weaponry into public spaces. We've seen far too many instances of the tragic consequences of guns wielded by the unbalanced. We don't need to make it easier for such tragedies to occur.