Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Thank You

Thank you to those who voted for me; you know who you are.

And, thanks to all those who came out and voted, period.

It is a sad commentary on our collective interest in self-government that so few make the effort to participate in our democracy.

Although it's been said before, those who step forward to run for office deserve deserve commendation.

As one who had uncomfortable competition in the race, I truly believe that such competition was not unwelcome. There may come a day for me when the discomfort will be underlined by my being pushed out the door. If that time arrives I hope to reflect not on the loss, but the privilege I had to serve my hometown in its pursuit of progress.

I look forward to the general election with the confidence that the City will be in good hands so long as caring, committed people run for office, and of equal importance, so long as caring, committed non-office holders stay engaged in the pursuit of progress.

5 comments:

John Doughty said...

Happy about your victory and appreciate your thoughtful approach to public office.

Peter Feimer said...

Congratulations on your primary victory. Well deserved. And it is encouraging that you will be able to work with some other thoughtful, newly elected council members. I hope this is to be a continuing trend for New Albany.

John Gonder said...

John and Sue, and Peter:
Thanks for your kind words, and good wishes.

Anonymous said...

ok whats your stand on supporting a tough anti illegal immigration law resolution, Baird wont answer because she is gutless and you?

John Gonder said...

Gutless?

I hope not.

Illegal immigration is not a big issue for me, although I do believe that employers who knowingly employ undocumented workers are undermining the the position legal foreign workers and run of the mill American workers have to contend with.

Several governors and legislatures (including Indiana's lengthy consideration of anti-union legislation, though stopping short of passing) have passed laws that undercut union standing in the labor pool. I see the two issues as linked and would support, through a resolution, any legislation that shores up union workers vis a vis rapacious corporations.

If the tool of that support is choosing strong union labor and living wage legislation over illegal aliens, count me in.