Sunday, April 29, 2007

Turning for Home

The primary campaign enters its final stretch this week. I've been to all the council districts in what I now recognize was a futile attempt to knock on all the doors of city residents. If I am fortunate enough to survive the primary, I will again .set that goal for the fall campaign.

One thing has surprised me during my walking; I did not encounter a single inhospitable person. My closest encounter with unfriendliness was an indiffernt response from someone who said she and her household have no interest in politics. Of course many people were not home and some of them could have been the surly ones. I tried to make my visit brief out of consideration for the person's time as well as for the efficiency of my task. After introductions were complete, I would ask if the person had any concerns they'd like the council to address. Except for near unanimity about fixing Spring Street Hill while walking in Siver Hills, the most common answer has been "nothing in particular that I can recall right now". This answer does not provide evidence of people disengaged from local issues but it does suggest that the majority of citizens are relatively contented. For those of us who peruse the various blogs and attend a few City Council meetings, I suspect that finding would not jibe with expectations. One explanation for that may be that I only gave these people a brief window to respond, although quite a few times, the answer to my brief question stretched out to almost a half hour. People who did answer my question offered answers from very specific drainage issues in their yards, to a need for better parks for their children, to cleaner alleys and better maintenance of rental houses nearby. Some said they'd like to see new faces on the council or in the Mayor's office. Some said the Mayor has been edged toward sainthood for the tribulations of dealing with the Council. Some said the Council is like the Jerry Springer Show. Almost every person exhibited something about their surroundings, whether their house, their family or their yard that gives them pride. This closer contact with people, closer than driving by a house on a street, is reassuring because it showed me an essential openess about people, an essential trust that makes this town a lot more hopeful than I had feared. I'm sure the result would be the same in most towns.

If I am successful now and in the fall, I am going to try my best to stay in contact with people outside the Council chamber. I feel that, although most people are not the proverbial squeaky wheels,that is, they might not take the time to attend a meeting, they might not feel comfortable making waves, but they do stay informed about local issues and, generally, they do believe this city can improve itself and realize more of its potential. The power to guide this city is here in its people. It is the task and it is the privilege of the city's leaders to show people that their concerns are valid and that together we can run this place like a city. Too often, politicians pledge to run the city, the state or the nation like a business. No thanks.

I wish I had taken better notes in school. One of my teachers in an introductory class in Classical Studies offered a quote from, for me now, some nameless Greek. I won't even call it a quote, a paraphrase : The greatest thing man can do is live together in a city.
It isn't likely we'll match the ancients as we lay out our civilization here on the banks of the Ohio but let's aim higher.

5 comments:

ecology warrior said...

Point well taken John regarding the politicians who want to run New Albany like a business, Scharlow for example. A true leader understands that cities and other governments can be more efficient, but unlike a business the real strength and utimate success is through all its citizens and the policy makers working together. This isnt the nature of a business where the decisions are determined by the priviledged few at the top and the motive is profit.

so like you, no thanks lets run New Albany like a govt. of, by and for the people so no thanks Mr. Scharlow.

Tim Deatrick

John Gonder said...

Tim:

I didn't mean that to single out Scharlow.

Too often, people state the idea that a government should be run like a business and as you said, there's nothing wrong with introducing efficiency into the delivery of government services.

But government is so much more than a business. And unlike a business, the less productive members of society are the very ones that need government the most. Government should be run more like a huge family in which all its members pull their weight and all the members share in the fruits of its success.

ecology warrior said...

I know you meant it in general terms but voters should know that is a main hallmark of Scharlow's campaign, run NA like a business.

see his web site

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for running for office and clearly expressing your views. You are giving us a real choice.

That said, I would love to know who you think would be the best choices for other council seats and for mayor.

thanks for the directions to Conway's - not open yet

John Gonder said...

Linda:

I would recommend that anyone formulate a picture in their head of what kind of city, nation or world they want. Does the candidate express a vision that appeals to you? If the answer is yes, that's your choice.